By Jack David Eller
• sacrifice (both animal and human);
• self-mortification (including self-injury, asceticism, and martyrdom);
• non secular persecution (from anti-Semitic pogroms to witchhunts);
• ethno-religious clash (including such hotspots as Sri Lanka, Northern eire, and the previous Yugoslavia);
• spiritual wars (from the traditional Hebrews’ wars and the Christian Crusades to Islamic jihad and Hindu righteous wars);
• and spiritual murder and abuse (spousal abuse, genital mutilation, and "dowry death," between different manifestations).
In the ultimate bankruptcy, "Religion and Nonviolence," the writer examines nonviolent and low-conflict societies and considers numerous equipment of handling clash.
This ebook is going some distance towards assisting us comprehend the character of violence normally, its advanced connections with faith, and the way society sooner or later may perhaps stay away from being blindsided through the worst facets of human nature.
Read Online or Download Cruel Creeds, Virtuous Violence: Religious Violence Across Culture and History PDF
Best violence in society books
The worldwide age is exclusive by way of disobedience, from the protests in Tiananmen sq. to the autumn of the Berlin Wall, to the anti-G8 and anti-WTO demonstrations. during this ebook, Raffaele Laudani bargains a scientific assessment of ways disobedience has been conceptualised, supported, and criticised all through background.
The keep watch over of Violence in sleek Society, starts off from the speculation that during sleek society we are going to face an expanding lack of keep an eye on over convinced phenomena of violence. This results in unpredictable escalations and violence can not be contained safely by way of the correct regulate regimes, comparable to police, country surveillance associations, nationwide repression apparatuses and overseas legislation.
The top of 1 struggle is usually the start of one other as the cessation of clash produces new demanding situations: a competition among the winners and losers over the phrases of peace, and a conflict in the successful celebration over the spoils of warfare. because the victors and the vanquished fight to set up a brand new political order, incidents of low-level violence often take place and will improve into an volatile peace or renewed clash.
This e-book examines foreign army interventions that experience supported balance in 4 groups in Afghanistan and Nepal, in an try to examine their luck and increase this in destiny. this can be the 1st in-depth village-level review of ways neighborhood populations conceive of balance and stabilisation, and offers a conception and version for a way balance should be created in groups in the course of and after clash.
- Understanding Hate Crimes: Acts, Motives, Offenders, Victims, and Justice
- Understanding Conflict and Change in a Multicultural World
- Darwin and International Relations: On the Evolutionary Origins of War and Ethnic Conflict
- African Women Under Fire: Literary Discourses in War and Conflict
- Coarseness in U.S. Public Communication (The Fairleigh Dickinson University Press Series in Communication Studies)
- Above the Shots: An Oral History of the Kent State Shootings
Extra resources for Cruel Creeds, Virtuous Violence: Religious Violence Across Culture and History
Cruel Creeds, Virtuous Violence: Religious Violence Across Culture and History by Jack David Eller