By Nancy L. Coleman,Olav Veka
Are you taking a look for
• A Scandinavian identify to your baby?
• The names of Norse gods and heroes?
• The background and which means of Scandinavian first names?
• Variations and trade spellings for universal Scandinavian names?
• Naming traditions and customs in Norway, Sweden, and Denmark?
A guide of Scandinavian Names incorporates a dictionary of greater than fifteen hundred given names from Norway, Sweden, and Denmark, plus a few from Iceland and Finland. each one access presents a advisor to pronunciation and the beginning and that means of the identify. Many entries additionally contain diversifications and utilization within the Scandinavian nations and recognized bearers of the name.
Adding attractive context to the dictionary part is an in depth comparative consultant to naming practices. The authors talk about immigration to North the United States from Scandinavia and the methods given names and surnames have been tailored within the New international. additionally incorporated within the publication is a heritage of Scandinavian names, info on “Name Days,” and dialogue of important names from mythology and heritage, together with naming traditions in royal families.
Read or Download A Handbook of Scandinavian Names PDF
Similar genealogy books
This easy-to-understand consultant via a maze of analysis chances is for any genealogist who has Mississippi ancestry. It identifies the various reliable nation documents, included neighborhood files, similar federal documents, and unofficial records helpful in discovering Mississippi family tree. right here the contents of those assets are essentially defined, and instructions for utilizing them are truly said.
What have been the valuable explanations of loss of life long ago? may well your ancestor were affected? How was once disorder investigated and handled, and what did our ancestors take into consideration the health problems and the injuries that will befall them? Simon Wills’s attention-grabbing survey of the ailments that had an influence on their lives seeks to reply to those questions.
A private family members historical past, that brings the yank tale to lifestyles, via usual, daily reviews. What makes it notable is the quantity of writing that was once kept for destiny generations - together with tales in regards to the Civil battle, poetry and scrapbook notes, and letters.
The Georgia twenty first Infantry Regiment assembled at Richmond, Virginia, in the course of June and July, 1861. The Twenty-first served within the military of Northern Virginia, performing a gallant half within the many nice battles within which it used to be engaged. It was once one of many regiments commanded through the gallant normal Doles, who fell on the moment conflict of chilly Harbor.
- Historical Sketch and Roster of the Georgia 40th Infantry Regiment (Georgia Regimental History Series Book 71)
- Elsa and Anna in America - Dutch New Amsterdam: Ancestry Genealogy
- Strategies for Happiness, Success, and Liberty:Life in the Promised Land-USA-What a Country!
- Education and Ontario Family History: A Guide to the Resources for Genealogists and Historians (Genealogist's Reference Shelf)
- Researching Scots-Irish Ancestors: The Essential Genealogical Guide to Early Modern Ulster: The Essential Genealogical Guide to Early Modern Ulster, 1600-1800: Ulster 1600-1800
- The Leaving of Loughrea : An Irish Family in the Great Famine
Additional info for A Handbook of Scandinavian Names
A Handbook of Scandinavian Names by Nancy L. Coleman,Olav Veka